What We Do
We strive to offer and support opportunities for learning that help us to support our food system and build better communities.
Our learning circles are designed to be a participatory structure for group reflection, dialogue, and planning based on selected scholarship and emergent topics.
Our Center is home to a number of state and regional programs supporting food systems-based community development at the nexus of food, agriculure, and society.
The Center supports a number of projects related to and in support of regional food systems and community transformation.
Center fellows bring the aims of the Center to their communities as leaders, educators, and advocates for equity, justice, and health in our food and farming systems.
Article ItemExploring Tanzania and Kenya through the Lens of Education and Sustainability , article
What does education and sustainability look like in an East African context? How can faculty and educators collaboratively and strategically strengthen education and incorporate knowledge about Africa and the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into high school and university curricula, and extension education programming? Austin Council and Eric Bendfeldt share their perspectives on education and sustainability as participants and fellows of VT East Africa Summer Institute for Educators. In this session, Austin and Eric share reflections about their intercultural learning experience and conversations with Tanzanian and Kenyan colleagues and partners about education, leadership, sustainability, and agriculture.
- Top global rankings highlight Virginia Tech’s commitment to sustainability
- Virginia Cooperative Extension fights food insecurity in the commonwealth
- $1 million grant aims to identify and implement ecologically sound grazing practices
- Center for Food Systems and Community Transformation Works to Address Food Systems Inequities
- Virginia Tech Workshop Addresses Racial Inequities in Food System Head-on
- October 2, 2020 Food Justice: What is it and how can we fix it?